October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

World Clock

DCS Huey love

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DCS Huey love

Post by (A/229) Javelina on Sun 3 Jul 2016 - 8:04

Gotta admit, I'm really digging the DCS Huey Module.  I own most all of the DCS Modules, and the 109 and Sabre were the two I flew the most.  But over the last few months, the Huey has moved up to number one.  With all of the cool custom mods folks have put out for the Huey, the immersion is really complete.  

Also, it didn't hurt that I blew through these 3 books within the last couple of months.

- Dead Men Flying
- Chickenhawk
- To the Limit: An Air Cav Huey Pilot

That last book (Air Cav Pilot), it was really riveting. (They all were good).  Especially when WO Johnson had to fly that mission into Laos and helped rescue the LRRP team.  Wow....

Plus, he had an IP who had over 9,000 hours of flight time (and his license was signed by Sikorsky).  I remember the passage about what his IP said.  If you're over the jungle and auto-rotating, (and can't find a safe open area), just "speak to God", before you hit any of the trees.  Which was his way of saying, since the Huey was nose heavy, you needed to pull up just prior, otherwise you end up a tumbling wreck.  "The Huey is one tough bird, and can take a fair amount of damage...."

don't mean to ramble, and just wanted to share.

-Jav
(A/229) Javelina

Back to top Go down

Re: DCS Huey love

Post by (C/229)Samri on Mon 4 Jul 2016 - 9:55

One of the old timers in my section at Rucker when I was an IP there,
(who had done a couple of tours of Vietnam) said the best way to auto-rotate into the jungle,
was to continue the flare to an almost vertical attitude and zero the speed prior to entering the trees.
The tail boom would then absorb the impact on the way through and with any luck,
you would end up hitting the ground on the skids.

The trouble with settling into the trees horizontally, was that the stab would catch the branches
and cause the nose to tip vertically down with the obvious nasty result to the pilots when it impacted the ground.

The guy who told me this had gone in twice this way - and lived to tell the tale. affraid
A fascinating gentleman to have a beer with.

(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) flyer on Mon 4 Jul 2016 - 10:36

I had been told the same thing by some of my mentors...with a qualifier...it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether you walk a way from it...just glad I never had to test the theory.

(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Javelina on Mon 4 Jul 2016 - 11:33

I really appreciate hearing from you folks that have experienced real world chopper training and flight. I truly wish I could. First and foremost, thank you for your service!!!
(A/229) Javelina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top