Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(HHC/229) Dabomb
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Re: Now I've done it...

Post by Guest on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 7:09

Hey, Good luck Db, have a ball! drunken AND let us know your personal views now...... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 9:12

Wahoo! Welcome to the club Smile
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Utley on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 9:56

You went all out, why only get a 1060?
(A/229) Utley
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 10:10

cheers good job mate !
(HHC/229) Strut
Major
Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Dabomb on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 12:47

You went all out, why only get a 1060?

The 6GB 1060 will get the job done, albeit not as handily as the 1070 or 80.  However, it's a sub $300USD card, and provides quite a bit of value for that price.  I was able to keep my VR upgrade budget to under $1,000, which was the objective.
(HHC/229) Dabomb
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Chic on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 14:03

SWEET!!!

(A/229) Chic
Captain
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) KoRn on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 17:13

Awesome! Lets us know how you like it!
(A/229) KoRn

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) LiveBait on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 19:54

You'll love it.
(C/229) LiveBait
Major
Rated Master Aviator
Major Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Cib on Mon 3 Oct 2016 - 21:47

Enjoy my friend keep the sick bucket handy Very Happy
(B/229) Cib
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) evilivan on Thu 6 Oct 2016 - 0:51

I've had my Rift since Sunday and managed to put a few hours into it now.

Initial impressions: it is awesome. You can't compare it to a flat screen because it's not in the same category. I can't imagine flying without it now - about the only thing that would put me back on the screen would be flying fixed wing when looking for long-range targets due to the resolution constraints.

The pro's:

- It puts you in the environment; it really does. You have to try it to understand the differences between it and a screen.
- When flying , you feel like you are in the cockpit, that the bulk of the aircraft is behind you (you can look at it over your shoulder), and the depth perception is amazing. I involuntarily closed my eyes when crashing, waiting for the impact....

The con's:

- The resolution isn't brilliant, especially as I'm coming from 4k. But it doesn't really interfere with the experience - just a little annoying if you are trying to read small numbers on flight instruments, or find things in the distance. I am really looking forward to when they do one with full 4k resolution though
- Focus is a bit of challenge to get right; the positioning is really sensitive. Even if you get it OK looking straight ahead, it might still be a bit out of focus if you move your eyes (not head) to look away from straight.
- And yes, there is an element of motion sickness - especially if you start flying "dynamically". Your body expects to feel the turns and G-forces but they don't come. Its a bit weird. However, I think you can train yourself to deal with that - it has already got less for me in a few hours of using it.

It's an expensive toy, but it is a game-changer for flight sims.

Anyone near, or passing by, my area (North West London) is welcome to pop in and try it Smile

(B/229) evilivan
Second Lieutenant
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Dabomb on Thu 6 Oct 2016 - 1:35

Everything he said. ^^

I am lucky that I have never suffered from motion sickness, so that part is a non-issue for me.  I do feel it in tight maneuvers though -- it's a bit strange but generally just makes me laugh.  Smile

Despite the relatively low resolution, it has made flying in DCS 10x more fun for me (and I was already having fun, so that's saying something).  As mentioned, it ain't cheap, but in my opinion, well worth saving those pennies for.
(HHC/229) Dabomb
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Brizzly on Thu 6 Oct 2016 - 22:39

That's awesome Dabomb! Glad to see you make the jump. It's definitely a game changer.

The only time I've ever felt motion sickness is the first time I used the VR zoom feature. Now that I've seen it a few times, I think I know what to expect, so I just don't move my head as much when I use it.

Other than that, I echo everything that's been said about the Oculus.
(A/229) Brizzly
Warrant Officer 1
Rated Aviator
Warrant Officer 1 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 1:22

Hey guys!

I'm off on another 11 day "work adventure" to Asia. Day 1 is a layover in Portland...so we know what that means!

"Lay in an air supply of COLD beer there Showtime!!!"

Actually, Show is going to snatch me from the hotel, take me over to his digs and demo his Oculus Rift!

I was briefing the beautiful "Mrs. BBall" on the the concept, and the Rift in general, and she thought it sounded really cool. She said to be sure and give her the full run-down on what I think about it when I establish Comms with her tomorrow! (she mentioned something about Santa not really interested in hauling a new gun safe all the way down from the North Pole for me... sounds like a Rift might be easier to fit in the sled...lol)

cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  santa

Now comes the hard part....figuring out what to GET HER for X-mas! (had her a nice little AR-15 custom built last year...gotta top that)
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Cib on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 1:34

BBall this is perfect gun and ornament rolled into one
http://www.mickelsenstudios.com/catalog/M249_SAW.html

Take a video if you make it to Showtimes, we want to share your fun Smile
(B/229) Cib
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) evilivan on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 3:47

My "review" above was very biased according to my experience and enjoyment of the immersion created by feeling like you are in the space. Having now read a few other opinions, I can see that might not be the case for everyone.

For example, I think Project Cars is far less impressive as an Oculus experience than, say, DCS or Elite Dangerous (these are the three that I've tried). For me, the Oculus does enhance the driving experience, but the immersion is much less, which I think is due to the fact that there is no sense of height, reducing the dimensions down to forward and back depth perception - and the depth, as already said, has pretty poor resolution. In this example, the lack of resolution is more annoying because it isn't overpowered by the experience of feeling like you are in sitting in the car (although it does still feel like you are).

Basically: it is a trade off between resolution and in-the-space-immersion. If the former is important to you, or the game you are playing doesn't offer surround-style visuals, and/or requires clarity at range (or, dare I say it, readable cockpits!), then you definitely want to test it out before committing the cash.

Other little things to consider: focus across the visual field isn't perfect; some areas are more focused than others. I've found that playing around with the angle of the headset on your face (up or down) can improve it. It is also complete PITA to do any kind of set up DCS (or any game) while in VR; much better to get everything set up first - including all externals,both physical and software - before switching back to VR and launching the game. Obvious stuff, but I might save someone some time Very Happy

I am still a complete fan boy, don't get me wrong, but wanted to offer something a little more objective as YMMV, based on what is important to you.

(B/229) evilivan
Second Lieutenant
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Highway on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 8:13

Dont forget that you can use the Oculus debug tool to increase the pixel density when the game doesn't natively support it as well. This works well for WarThunder, Project Cars and Dirt Rally for example.

For those of you that have it, FSX and P3D can work in the rift with a few pieces of aftermarket software, but I really recommend Flyinside. You get 15 minutes "for free" and you can restart and keep having free 15 minute sessions until you decide to purchase a license. There is a special tweak you can use with the flyinside cfg to set the resolution to double that of the rift, thereby manually enforcing a pixel density of 2, or whatever you need. Flyinside.cfg location

I've been flying around in the VRS Superhornet catching the 3 wire on the USS Eisenhower now for a while in it and it's great Smile
(C/229) Highway
Captain
Company Commander
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) GunfighterSIX on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 10:54

If your in the mood to buy things Dabomb I will take a set. Let me know how everything works, I will be looking to do some shopping in a few months my self.
(HHC/229) GunfighterSIX
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Battalion Standardization Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Battalion Standardization Instructor PilotRated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Utley on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 11:21

(C/229) Highwayman wrote:Dont forget that you can use the Oculus debug tool to increase the pixel density when the game doesn't natively support it as well. This works well for WarThunder, Project Cars and Dirt Rally for example.

For those of you that have it, FSX and P3D can work in the rift with a few pieces of aftermarket software, but I really recommend Flyinside. You get 15 minutes "for free" and you can restart and keep having free 15 minute sessions until you decide to purchase a license. There is a special tweak you can use with the flyinside cfg to set the resolution to double that of the rift, thereby manually enforcing a pixel density of 2, or whatever you need. Flyinside.cfg location

I've been flying around in the VRS Superhornet catching the 3 wire on the USS Eisenhower now for a while in it and it's great Smile
P3D ver. 3.4 supports the rift...but as a camera only...
(A/229) Utley
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Salty on Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:23

Welcome to the Oculus club. I have been using mine since June. Only way returning back to flat screens is when the I have two projectors and curved screen with 180deg FOV.

(B/229) Salty
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum