August 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

World Clock

Oculus Rift DK2 vs CV1

Go down

Oculus Rift DK2 vs CV1

Post by (A/229) Comanchero86 on Fri 20 Jan 2017 - 13:57

Listening to you guys and reading about Oculus Rift has got me lusting for the equipment. However, The CV1 is a pretty big chunk of change. So I was thinking as a compromise that a used DK2 might work. Do any of you have experience with both the DK2 and CV1? Is the CV1 really that big of a upgrade? Thanks.
(A/229) Comanchero86

Back to top Go down

Re: Oculus Rift DK2 vs CV1

Post by (A/229) Utley on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 0:17

It will, but while CV1 has ok resolution, the DK2 has even worse resolution.
(A/229) Utley
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Metzger on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 0:57

Hi Comanchero,

I had DK2 for 2-3 months before going for CV1. Overall CV1 is much better but DK2 has some pros over it:

DK2 pros:
-CV1 has a god ray issue due to the new lenses. It is not a huge pain but it can be annoying.
-DK2 is 75hz and with lower ressolution so it is less demanding on the system
-DK2 is cheaper and toghether with the above point the system it can run on is cheaper.

Of course CV1 is better and here are the main pros for me:

- Better resolution Smile
- Less SDE
-Better tracking. Can track 360 degrees and never need to be recentered while with DK2 you need recenter key on your hotas.
- Lighter with more confortable and better straps
- Has it's own headset and you dont need to put additional stuff on your head.
Note that the sound is very good and pepole say the mic is quality one. But I have issues and while searching in the net I m not alone. The right headphone sometimes stops and I need to move it arround to start (like there is a bad connection somewhere) and I never made voice attack to reckognize my speach with the rift's mic while I had no issues with my alien headset (no metter my poor accent, with my headset it worked good). If you are native, this might not be an issue for you I dont know.
- Less cables and toghether with his own headset it is much more comfortable.
- Has an IPD slider
- supports oculus touch
- overall better investment and note that DK2 support wont continue much longer.

Some people say CV1 has higher FOV but I cant realy say this for sure. It might be but looks the same for me.
Also some people say DK2 is sharper. If your IPD is 64 it may be correct but mine si 69 so I struggle with DK2 because of the lack of the IPD slider.
Both headsets have a sweet spot for sharpness and even with the better straps of the CV1 it still hard to find the sweetspot and fix the headset in such way that you are on the spot when you mount it.
The visibility with both is honestly bad.

In conclusion I would say whatever you choose it will make massive difference compared to whatever monitor you have used.
In the time when I sold my DK2 and had to wait for CV1 to arrive I tried to go back to my 32 inch TV but I just could not. It was so frustrating I asked my self "How the hell I was playing sims on a monitor until now ? It is terrible."

EDIT:
Back to IPD, I find the scale in DCS World off, everithing looks a little smaller than it should be, some people sees it bigger. I m not sure but as far as my investigation goes for this issue it is related to the IPD. Currently DCS renders the both images with IPD 64 which is kind of standart but for people like me with higher IPD, this will make the scale smaller and the opposite for the persons with lower IPD.
P.S IPD is the distance between the center of your eyes.
(B/229) Metzger
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) evilivan on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 2:43

I think Metzger is going to be your benchmark for this, given his experience with both. But I will just add that when I tried the DK2 I thought: cool, but not enough resolution for me. Then everyone raved about how much better the CV1 was, and in the end after much review-reading I went for it - and personally I think that it is very much better than the DK2. And as Metzger says, I wouldn't go back to a monitor now - or DK2 for that matter Wink

evilivan

(B/229) evilivan
Second Lieutenant
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Comanchero86 on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 4:41

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. Unfortunately, I (as in, how much marital discord do I want) cannot justify the cost of a new Rift right now. So I'm thinking buy a DK2 now to jump in to VR. Or wait for CV2 to come out and buy a CV1 when the price drops. Don't know when that would be as there doesn't seem to be much chatter about CV2. I guess the question I was asking is if CV1 is worth the wait vs getting a start now with DK2.
(A/229) Comanchero86

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Utley on Sat 21 Jan 2017 - 5:22

Wait until CV2 comes out, CV1 has some bugs and flaws that need to be addressed before it becomes the game changer. Evolution is slow, smallpox is fast.
(A/229) Utley
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : Lots
Killed In Action: : Lots more
Slick No. of landings: : all of them

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Chic on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 0:05

I own and am tinkering with the rift. It certainly "introduces" new and amazing enhancements to  simming but in its current state I would have to describe this phenomenon as a tease.  
65" 4K curved Samsung is still my go to.

(A/229) Chic
Captain
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Comanchero86 on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 2:44

TrackIR5 is certainly cheaper than Oculus Rift. Maybe that's the way to go for now.
(A/229) Comanchero86

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Metzger on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 3:57

I would suggest you to try the rift before deciding.
If you have to choose between dk2 and trackir I would easily say dk2 ( well if you have 65 curved 4k screen might be different story but the immersion in the rift is uncomparable). If you fly huey visibility is not an issue at all. For wvr a2a it is limited somehow but note that zooming and checking six with tir is not very realistic.
Flying formation, landings, Situational awareness are much easier and realistic in the VR
(B/229) Metzger
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Comanchero86 on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 4:41

One last question. Is everything viewed through the goggles when Oculus is installed. In other words, if I want to use my computer for other than gaming, do I have to disconnect the Rift from the HDMI port. Assuming I have two HDMI ports can I run both a monitor and the Rift? Thanks.
(A/229) Comanchero86

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229) Gizzy on Tue 24 Jan 2017 - 4:47

It is very much a personal thing.. and depends on your flying environment / style / models and equipment you use.

So an alternative view....

Never used a DK2 but I think the resolution is 25% less than the Rift?

I have tried the Rift for 10 days before sending it back mainly due to incompatibility with my glasses.  The sense of immersion is very good with realism and depth perception BUT for me, resolution is not good, not good at all and that was looking through the sweet centre spot of the lense glance either side and it gets worse...

Physically using the Rift is a bit of a hassle especially regarding keyboard and peripherals like MFD's and toggle switches.

Sure for formation flying, landings etc the depth perception truly excels but at the expense of clarity, hence you get the comments such as "sure the resolution is not good but after a while you get used to it"

Poor frame rates have to some extent been improved by software 'filling' but for me this was not an issue as I have a OC CPU and OC STRIX980ti.

I use a 50" UHD curved as a main screen and this works well with my peripherals and the Rift as it is now would not replace it.  Certainly it would be nice to have it as an addition for certain applications but it would not replace the large UHD.

TRACKIR works very well and is just as realistic as using VoiceAttack to activate systems, undercarriage etc...

Remember everyone kit is different, from home cockpits, to full professional collective / cyclics, to 21" monitor to 65"UHD... and you have to get what works for you.

Chic and Utley made a quote apiece that I can relate to... especially Chics..

(A/229) Chic wrote:I own and am tinkering with the rift. It certainly "introduces" new and amazing enhancements to  simming but in its current state I would have to describe this phenomenon as a tease.  
65" 4K curved Samsung is still my go to.

(A/229) Utley wrote:A....Ive had nothing but a love-hate relationship with it,....

If the Rift is plugged into your HDMI and you have another port on your graphic card you can use that no issues.
(D/229) Gizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum