Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 0:11 by (A/229) Chic

» My Spring/Summer project
Sat 17 Jun 2017 - 11:29 by (HHC/229) Dabomb

Trip's Huey Cockpit progress updates

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trip's Huey Cockpit progress updates

Post by (A/229) Trip on Thu 1 Jun 2017 - 19:15

Tonight was a bust. =( Still have a problem with my motion sim electronics that I spent the entire night unsuccessfully chasing down after rewiring with the new connectors didn't fix it.

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip on Fri 2 Jun 2017 - 23:20

I'm pretty certain now that the problem isn't anything I did, but a defect in the PCB so I will be having to send that back and wait for repair or replacement. =(

I got the collective mostly finished but looks like I really do need to put in a gear reduction setup for the pots. Buttons are all working on the PC now though, so that's progress!

I also think I came up with a pretty solid solution for operating the throttle below the idle stop. I suppose first I'll briefly outline the problem:

In a real Huey the throttle will not physically rotate beyond the "idle stop" until you push the idle stop release button. After that you continue turning the throttle beyond the stop.

In DCS it is not possible to operate the throttle below the idle stop with an axis. Only buttons or keyboard input for throttle up/down work when you are below the idle stop. Obviously, this sucks for those of us with full Huey collective setups!

My solution is this: In addition to the potentiometer being driven by a larger gear on the collective, I'm also going to put on a rotary encoder driven by the same gear. This rotary encoder will be set up to tap "throttle increase" and "throttle decrease" depending on which way you are twisting the throttle. I have done some testing and as soon as you pass the idle stop DCS prioritizes axis input over button input and basically ignores the commands that will be coming from the rotary encoder. It should work brilliantly!

Also, I could probably remove teeth from the large gear in the proper location if I wanted the rotary encoder to stop working once I get into the working throttle axis, but this would probably be complicating things for no reason based on my testing.

I'll be sure to let you know how I make out, and provide pictures of the assembly.

Trip

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip on Fri 9 Jun 2017 - 21:27

Update: June 9th

Minimum work required to start flying:

- New Motion Sim electronics: Waiting for parts, it might be a while. =(
- Collective: Converting RL collective for PC use is in progress.

Greetings again friends.

This week I made some progress. The overhead console structure is now built and installed, though it needs finishing work (as do all the consoles) and the panels for it are not done yet. I also got the Bass Shakers installed and wired and the Rift tracking sensor mount installed. All of these assemblies will need to come back off for paint, but that is not a big deal.

After many hours of testing I have come to the conclusion that there is still something wrong with the PCB that controls the motion sim. I've sent it back for repair or replacement but these things are back ordered about six weeks so it could potentially (worst case scenario) be that long until I get the replacement.

The collective has all buttons and switches working, now I'm waiting for some gears to arrive for hooking up the axis sensors with a gear reduction for much improved accuracy of control. Making the throttle work the way I want with the idle cut off etc. might take some experimenting, so I might have to order another gear or two after testing the ones that are coming early next week.

That's all I have for now, hopefully I'll have more to report by the middle of next week.

Trip

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229)Samri on Sat 10 Jun 2017 - 9:44

Thanks for the update - I am following with keen interest.

You will end up with a contraption that will require just as much RL maintenance as the real thing!!
I can remember many a time flights being delayed or cancelled do to unserviceability.

(C/229)Samri
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4  Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip on Sat 10 Jun 2017 - 10:58

A project like this is never finished, that's part of the fun really. =)  I am however very frustrated at this point, it has been far, far, far too long since I last flew.  Hopefully soon this dry spell will be just a memory.  I told Thanos to put me on the list for a whole new unit instead of trying again to fix the one I broke.  I can find more things to sell on ebay to pay for it.

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip on Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 19:24

Good news on the collective, still don't know how long it will be until I get my replacement motion sim controller. =(

As for the collective, tonight I achieved 100% functionality including my solution for the idle stop problem. I'll add pictures in the next day or two.

I still have to do final assembly which will take a while, so far just bench tested it but it works!

For the idle stop, on the throttle axis I have two sensors driven by the gear. One is a potentiometer for the actual throttle axis, the other is a rotary encoder for the "throttle up/down" commands that work below the idle stop. I added a physical detente to the throttle axis and calibrated the throttle sensor so that this detent matches 0% throttle, right where the idle cut off would stop the throttle from turning any farther.

The detente is just a significant amount of friction, not actuated by the idle stop button as it should be. My procedure is to decrease the throttle to zero percent at which point the in game axis won't go any further and I hit the physical detente. I then press the idle stop button which enables the in game axis to go below idle stop via the rotary encoder button presses as I turn the throttle past the physical detente all the way to the physical stop, achieving full engine stop position. When I rotate the throttle to increase again the rotary encoder also works to increase the throttle up to the idle stop, and then the potentiometer takes over and my throttle works as it should.

It's not 100% perfect but it's pretty darned satisfactory IMO. I've officially started the engine a couple times using the real Huey collective start trigger and throttle, EPIC! I can't wait to get this thing buttoned up and installed, and then of course all the other panels I have yet to finish.

This week is a bit busy for me, but hopefully I'll make faster progress next week. In the meantime I'll still be waiting for those motion parts. Honestly I'm tempted to lower the motion sim while I wait for those parts, and I might do so but this could cause more delays so I probably should let it be.

Trip

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip on Sat 17 Jun 2017 - 6:16

Good news today folks! I should have my replacement electronics in about a week and then after a day or so of work be ready to fly! Also I've pretty much decided to try to lower my motion sim down onto the real floor for additional clearance overhead. Hopefully this won't go horribly wrong and take longer than expected LOL. I expect to show some pics of the collective conversion later tonight, I have some things I need to get done first or the wife will have my head!

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip on Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 18:14

Quick update:  

Sorry no pics of the collective conversion yet because I forgot to take them before making the huge mess I have now!  I'll get them in a couple days.  

The new motion electronics came today!  This means I should finally be able to get back in the air as soon as I get the sim put back together.  

I totally dismantled my motion sim to sink it into the network center flooring (which is about 8.75" above the real cement floor) and gain about 7.5 inches (~19cm) of overhead clearance so I can go back to using 100% heave travel AND raise my Huey cockpit about 3" further above the cockpit floor to get the correct full scale dimensions!  This is a change I wanted to make but didn't want to add to my workload.  I decided to suck it up and do it now because I know I'd never do it when the rig was up and running.  

This required fully dismantling the motion sim.  I had to make a new base for mounting the actuators, and have to modify the actuator covers as well as build new floor panels to go around the new assembly.  It's coming back together now, but there is still lots to do!

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Trip on Sat 24 Jun 2017 - 15:09

Update Jun. 24

Actuator cover mods 90% complete
Cockpit Platform installed

Next tasks:

Finish up actuator covers 100% and touch up paint
Install actuator position sensors
Build floor panels around base
Wire up new electronics
Adjust position sensors
Modify seat, consoles, stick, collective to sit 3" higher (proper height)
Assemble all above components
Start training flights at this point
Post modification motion sim tuning
Resume work on UH-1 panels and wiring to complete the UH-1 build

(A/229) Trip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top