MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

World Clock

Mi-8/Mi-24 Cyclic and Collective setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mi-8/Mi-24 Cyclic and Collective setup

Post by (B/229) Molevitch on Wed 9 Aug - 22:38

Hi Guys,

I am relatively new here, but have been flying DCS since it launched (Lock-On!) and became helicopter crazy once they came out with Black Shark. I have all the DCS chopper modules, and am particularly enamoured with the Mi-8.

For a number of years now, I had been flying with customised MS FFB2 sticks, combined as one cyclic as exemplified by PeterP on the DCS forums. The collective I had built myself from scratch as a generic setup for all choppers, with a load of buttons and hat switches. All fine... until I got a bug about using authentic decommissioned military equipment.

This happened partly because in 2016 I entered an employment state of semi-retired, (or so I thought... I am now working 3 jobs freelance!), and I figured I would have more time to really go for the simpit development.

The Royal Navy announced they were retiring the trusty Lynx helicopter, and within a year, Lynx parts were showing up on eBay. In early May this year, a Lynx cyclic showed up on eBay for a great price, and I jumped on it.

I had viewed (B/229) Salty's post about a Huey force gradient based cyclic project, (keep going Salty, it is SO worth it!), and I had seen a force gradient based cyclic build on youtube by a Russian sim-pilot ( https://youtu.be/5DvmLN-ryP4 ), and so I borrowed aspects of both for my design.

I decided eventually I would put the force-gradients under my seat, for both convenient maintenance access, and general neatness, though originally they were designed to go forwards and sideways. I wanted to build a simple gimbal from readily available components, without requirement of CnC machinery, laser cutting or bandsaws. I am a competent wood-worker, and reasonable with metals, but limited space to work, no workshop bench etc. Room outdoors, and a good set of power tools though....

So here is the first incarnation using the Lynx cyclic.

Obviously(?) this was a partly trial and error project. While I made plans and measurements, to some extent there was an anticipated suck-it-and-see development stream.

So it was all going well, when while browsing eBay again for some components for the project I found this!

So I made an offer for the set, and bought it....

I will post the next stages shortly.
(B/229) Molevitch
Warrant Officer 1
Rated Aviator
Warrant Officer 1 Rated Aviator

No. of Flights: : 6
Killed In Action: : 2
Slick No. of landings: : 40
CAS Tanks destroyed: : 0
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : 0
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Mi-8/Mi-24 Cyclic and Collective setup

Post by (HHC/229) flyer on Thu 10 Aug - 4:57

Nice project...keep the pictures coming...

(HHC/229) flyer
Major
S1
Instructor Pilot
Rated Master Aviator
Major S1 Instructor Pilot Rated Master Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Chic on Thu 10 Aug - 5:44

Great project.  Have fun!

(A/229) Chic
Captain
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Molevitch on Thu 10 Aug - 8:11

So my Mi-24 cyclic and collective arrived, with a great back-story. Apparently, the Mi-24 was acquired by the British MOD from East Germany when the Wall came down. It was then used to test ordnance effectiveness against it, until it was pretty well shot up and reduced to scrap, sadly.... However, some enterprising engineer purloined the surviving co-pilot sticks as a souvenir, which remained under a bed for some years. They finally found their way on to eBay in late May, and into my hands.

The structure of the pivot of the cyclic was sufficiently different to the Lynx to require a complete rethink and rebuild. I would need a bigger gimbal box and a rethink of the layout of the force-gradients, which is when I decided to redirect them to under my seat.

I was able to figure out how to run the two force-gradients under the seat using a bell-crank for the roll axis. The mag brakes are 50kg door holders, and the force-gradients are motorcycle steering dampers with strong compression springs added at each end.

The gimbal is made from a piece of oblong box aluminium 600 x 1200 x 1200 x4 mm with various holes and notches cut out, and mounted on pillow bearings for the roll axis. The pitch axis benefits from the original bearings in the cyclic stick.

Having established the basic mechanics layout for pitch and roll and force-gradients, I then removed the cyclic grip from the stick to begin puzzling out the wiring of the radio 2-stage switch, the trimmer button, the RS button and how to replace the missing autopilot hat switch which had been filled with a blank, these being the Mi-24 Co-pilot/Gunner sticks....

More fun to come!
(B/229) Molevitch
Warrant Officer 1
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Updated Mi24 Stick and Collective pit with Magnetic Brakes and Force Feedback

Post by (B/229) Molevitch on Fri 15 Sep - 21:25

So here are some images of my fully functional sim-pit with Mi-24 Cyclic and Collectives, all wired up and working brilliantly. I am working out how to do a multiple synced frames video to show it all in action.... Hmmm.

I will post some new pix shortly showing the finished setup with leather cyclic boot.
(B/229) Molevitch
Warrant Officer 1
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down