MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

DCS 2.5 rollout...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: DCS 2.5 rollout...

Post by (B/229) Badger on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 20:56

Hi guys.

So I have an interesting issue. I can’t play DCS 2.5Beta online without it crashing, religiously.

I generally play on Through the Inferno and prior to the beta it was solid as a rock. Now though I crash, and it’s not just on TTI it’s any server I try and connect too.

I load in to the server, pick my slot and then the game stutters, and takes an age to load textures. After a minute or 2 the game crashes.

For the record I’m not running any of our mods and I’m not running VR. I’ve tried changing up memory priorities and specifically giving DCS it’s own dedicated cores on my CPU. I’ve also ran an update and repair of DCS so many times I’ve lost count which 10/10 comes back with no issues.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
(B/229) Badger
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 21:46

The 229th servers are crashed this evening.  I fired up a server locally with older missions and no one could get in - same result with a virgin new simple miz with just a few airframes.

Disabled all MODS and 2 lads had to do a repair and then 5 of us got in okay.  Server is still up... 229th D.... if around disable all mods and try and get in...

I believe some of the issues may be MODS related... but last night on the 229th running 2.5 with full MODS there was no problem....

We are looking into it..

(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander  Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 21:54

Searching the forums, there's the prob... daBomb has already trouble shooted it...

daBomb: Okay. Got this sorted. (thank you Caput_5.

There are 3 variables in the serverSettings.lua file (C:\Users\\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config) that dictate whether the integrity check will be enabled or not on your server. These are:

"require_pure_textures"
"require_pure_models"
"require_pure_clients"

If any of these 3 are set to false, the integrity check will be enabled. All 3 must be set to false to disable the check.

For some reason, unchecking the Integrity Check button in the Server Settings page would only set the "require_pure_clients" variable to false -- it leaves the other 2 set to true. I had to manually edit the file in Notepad++ and set them to false. Once that was done, it disabled the integrity check "shield" from our server in the server list and we were able to run our mods again.

Hope this helps someone else.

here WAS my problem...

Thansk db..

(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Dagger on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 22:27

👍

Sent from Topic'it App

(A/229) Dagger
Warrant Officer 1
Rated Aviator
Warrant Officer 1 Rated Aviator

http://www.neoti.com

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Rob on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 22:37

I’m in the middle of downloading 2.5 and updating files from open alpha. Did I mess up if I forgot to disable 229 required mods first in ovgme?
(A/229) Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Dagger on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 22:47

No, you should be fine, just make sure you enable them for 2.5 open beta after your update is complete.

Sent from Topic'it App

(A/229) Dagger
Warrant Officer 1
Rated Aviator
Warrant Officer 1 Rated Aviator

http://www.neoti.com

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Rob on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 22:51

Thanks

Last edited by (A/229) Rob on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 22:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mistake)
(A/229) Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Badger on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 01:23

I may have resolved my issue. A streamer friend suggest deleting my config folder (made a backup first) and then let the game redo it. That, combined with reducing my graphics settings from high to medium seems to have done the trick.

Why I can play high on single player without issues but can’t in multiplayer is a mystery but for now i’ll Let it slide.

It is a beta after all....
(B/229) Badger
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 01:48

With 2.5 my Nvidia GeForce Experience recording/streaming software is not picking up the fullscreen game window... I did like a 3 hour stream earlier, one of the best from me maneuver-wise, only to take my Vive off and see it just showed the menu the whole time, because the menu is where I went full screen -_-

That said, I'm able to play the most basic multiplayer missions on high settings in Vive, while also rendering it to the monitor in 2150p, and streaming in 1080p. And even then, it's just barely playable. Load-in lag spikes are much more egregious.

I still have quite a ways to go to find out what works best. I haven't even loaded w/ mods yet, so I have a feeling I'm gonna be like you, Badger, and have to drop down to medium, and probably lower my res before the fat lady sings.

(A/229) Huckleberry
Second Lieutenant
Company XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Company XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Badger on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 16:17

I’ve just received this weeks news letter. I’m not sure if these specs are what they’ve always been or if they have been updated but this may explain the game behaving like it has since 2.5 dropped.

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card DirectX11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 270X with 2GB VRAM or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB; Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card DirectX11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.
(B/229) Badger
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 16:05

I've circumvented my streaming issues by switching to OBS Studio.

Think I'm going to have to break down & upgrade to 32GB RAM... I was profiling resource usage in different servers today, and it consistently maxes out my RAM when loading into a server, & stays that way. Still not sure how much swap memory was in use; maybe I don't want to know... It could be a memory leak. Or maybe VR just demands that much more...

VRAM on the other hand stayed manageable at 3.3 - 3.7GB.

(A/229) Huckleberry
Second Lieutenant
Company XO
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Badger on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 16:13

Nerdshowandtell on twitch did the same thing with his swap file and he said his crashing stopped. I have 16GB of ram at the minute so i’ll probably add a swap file and give it 4gb or something and see how I get on.
(B/229) Badger
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) hannibal on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 04:04

i am back!

(A/229) hannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 17:27

I upgraded to 32GB RAM.  It doesn't max out and eat into swap space anymore, but it's still not the performance miracle I was hoping for.

This morning I took some time to audit my resource usage, particularly RAM and VRAM.  Recorded and threw it up on youtube.  Wrote a synopsis in the video description which I'll paste below.

video description:

The reason for the video is, I was using ALL my 16 gigs of RAM trying to load into multiplayer servers.  And so I thought it would be better if I upgraded to 32 gigs instead of eating into swap space, and possibly putting undue wear on my SSD.  So, I bought 32 (4x8gb) off ebay and replaced it in my system, and here I proceed to do some performance heuristics with resource monitor and the in-game overlay shown with left ctrl + pause in DCS.

Notable Notes:

• FPS sucks no matter if I have modest settings or high settings. I stayed consistently at 16-21 FPS. Avg of about 18-19. Luckily I don't get motion sickness in VR very easily, but I can see how this can be a deal breaker for most people.
  • With 32GB RAM, I am not eating into swap memory anymore, but that is not solving the issue of terrible frames at mission load time, like I thought it might.
  • Video memory doesn't simply de-allocate itself when exiting a mission.  That means, loading into a mission you've previously loaded is slightly less painful, but also, if you don't have much video memory in the first place, you're gonna have a bad time.
  • DCS crashed at the end of the video, when I was testing the video memory compounding.  I have 8GB GDDR5, and I had only used 6.8 of that when the crash occurred, so that probably wasn't the issue.  That said, I don't know what the issue was...

Final thoughts are, I'm not very impressed with 2.5 in VR.  Collidable trees and smooth terrain are the only reasons I wanted to upgrade in the first place, but it's not worth the terrible dip in performance I have encountered.  Hopefully the performance and memory leak issues will be resolved before the next stable release.  Hope is all I have at this point...

(A/229) Huckleberry
Second Lieutenant
Company XO
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 19:19

Huck, YouTube gets lost as I FF through the video even with a 80mbs down link... so I gave up trying to get a conclusion...

I run 32gb RAM, an i7 OC 4.6 and a OC 980ti and FFIW below is what I've settled on after much trial.  I'm sure a lot is personal to own system / preference and the type of flying done in VR..

In the Rift I'm averaging 35-50 terrain dependent below 100'.  ASW off.  CPU around 20% or so and GPU mostly 100%.  PD is the key for me, obviously no MSAA and I find PD 1.6 is a good compromise.  Note I have max'ed on Clutter, trees and pre-load.... I just low the grass and trees when low and fast...  Dropping down to PD1.0 and engaging MSAA gives similar outside the cockpit at a distance but the inside the clocks are pretty rubbish... PD 2 is great and 1.8 is good but 1.6 keeps the FPS up on the selected settings...

(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 19:38

Apologies, OBS studio was recording to MKV format. I'm going back to MP4 for the future. Also I just got a gigabit fiber connection so I can't reproduce the fast-forward issue.. Razz

Thanks for the feedback, Pixel Density must be the only thing I haven't changed yet! I'll update after I test again.

(A/229) Huckleberry
Second Lieutenant
Company XO
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Rob on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 19:54

I found 1920x 1080 resolution really strains my system in vr. I lower it to 1920x780 I think. Don’t notice much difference in rift as far as resolution and I get much better FPS
(A/229) Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Rated Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 19:57

(A/229) Huckleberry wrote:Also I just got a gigabit fiber connection so I can't reproduce the fast-forward issue...

Gigabits... Showoff !! Very Happy and I thought 80mbs was good.... not too long ago it was 40kbs and then you had to wait an age for AOL to load it stuff then maybe, maybe, let you on to the internet

(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 02:44

Setting Pixel Density to 1.6 gives me a slight (but crucial) bump of about 5 fps, managing an average of about 25 fps. I can work with this... except when someone loads in and there's a massive 30 second frame drop affraid

(A/229) Huckleberry
Second Lieutenant
Company XO
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: