Wed 10 Oct 2018, 23:42 by (B|D/229) Gizzy

October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A Reflection........

Go down

A Reflection........

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 11:05

8MATES hook up regularly most Thursday and Sunday evenings with either missions or training or a combination of both.  We have an active Discord channel running otherwise we would totally spam this forum.  Flying is always demanding, 'map only' always using the airframe navigation equipment and of course good communication.

The other day we looked at formation inadvertent ascent into cloud and the procedures to be adopted (I asked for 30° differentials left and right dependent on chalk#) and later tried some ascent and descent in formation with NAV lights on just to see how DCS simulated this.... later we practised basic high rocket attacks with a 1.5km break.

After all sessions we generally have individual  reflection and post our thoughts and then discuss in a friendly safe environment etc...  These can be short or long, whatever is good for the individual.... I have reposted GADGETS AAR to give a feel for what we get up to....

Remember 8MATES always welcomes pilots who want to seriously have fun with the Mi8 and additionally I would love to include other rotary airframe whose pilots share the same ethos....  Just shout if you want to join us, skill is not relevant -  that can be learnt and we will help you all the way - enthusiasm and dedication is the key though....

gadget - Today at 03:00
AAR: Sun Evening, 17 JUN 18, 1800z 1900bst 2000cet (AEST 0400 Fri) MISSION or TRAINING
DAY TRAINING - IFR FLIGHT; ASCENT/DESCENT THROUGH CLOUD
DAY TRAINING - AERIAL ROCKETRY (Mi8)

The multiplayer taxi, lineup and depature is still one of my favourite elements of large group co-operative play, it just doesnt get old, and makes you feel part of something bigger.

I must of missed something in my cold start procedure, (without the Voice Attack profile prompts yet) so under instruction I jumped into a hot start ship and rejoined

Departing the airfield we closed formation and proceeded with the instruction of actions on entering cloud.  As we struck the cloud base we readied for the undesirable and then in unison ascended into the clag i took the opportunity to set my compass bug to make my break easier

Immediately calls of cloud, breaking x0 degrees Left/Right, as chalk #3, i broke left 30 and maintained my heading keeping level and speed on, i maintained my maximum rate of climb, to clear the cloud as soon as possible, no point dragging my heels, just because I was partaking, (didnt mean i had to enjoy it)

All went well and ascension resulted in breaking through to clear blue skies and multiple aircraft visible to my right I began a gentle turn back on heading as numerous calls flooded " clear of cloud, re-assuming heading"  I had to play catch up to flight lead and one other, then head calls that forced me to look right and eyeball the 4th chalk to ensure separation rejoined formation, performed a 180 left in formation and continued back on our reciprocal heading towards the airport, at this point I realised my ADF wasnt set, it had been in my first aircraft, but in my haste to rejoin and not keep the rest of the flight waiting, had omitted resetting the ADF so i began attempting to reset the ADF in formation, which suffered drastically as I finally managed to tweek the frequency and obtain the correct morse.  I then closed the formation and prepared to now do the unthinkable and descend into cloud.

We began the same way we ascended, at the edge of the cloud, in formation, straight and level flight in formation then dropped gradually down into the soup, radio calls, breaks left and right, then silence as everyone went about their business.  Desperately watching the instruments and maintaining my heading, speed and rate of descent, I was quite happy with my profile when suddenly it was like someone had tripped me up and I had gone tumbling face first (well not literally, but) the instruments suddenly went completely balmy. I had made no sudden inputs, I had no locked the controls up or failed to correct deviations.... it was like I had run into something and flipped several times watching the AH flail about, I thought I was inverted, I was listening to the rotor RPM alternatively sag and overspeed a chill went up my spine and I thought this was going to be the end of it, when I heard a call of , "wow, someone just went past me vertically!"

I didnt know if it was me, i didnt think so, I hadnt heard any other rotors nearby, but then with the sounds my aircraft was making I doubted I would have then I heard Moles transmission "I'm dead" and my heart sank, what is happening, surely we didnt collide, there would have been a very definitive impact and noise,
and besides Mole and I had gone 60 degrees opposite directions, somthing was amiss and we were both in an uncontrollable state as a result.

Almost as soon as Mole broadcast, I broke through the cloud, oscillating wildly but still vertical, ironically Moles wreckage acting like a beacon in the empty landscape now with a visual reference, I was able to regain control and straight and level flight was resumed, in the rapid unwieldly descent I had cleared cloud before everyone else but would have preferred a more gradual and text book arrival.
I threw on my smash and began to orbit over Moles wreckage as I was sure it would prove the most obvious visual feature as everyone descended, Gizzy instructed me to abondon the wreckage and proceed to the airfield for landing, which I did, initially not thinking about the other airfields in the area and simply tracked for the first airfield I had visual on which turned out to be home base, and not Kutaisi.

I landed and others rejoined in new birds, we taxied out and lined up for another departure, at this point we lost our 5th bird to real life commitments and were down to a 4 chalk flight.  We left all our lights on this time in order to perform a formation flight through the clag.

This flight was far more controlled and less stressful, as I was more focussed on the nav lights of chalks #1 & #2 than my instruments, which I occassionally gave only very brief glimpses as I maintained my paranoid vigil on the nav lights, i was dragging a little bit and my formation was extending slightly, no doubt forcing #4 into an uncomfortable predicament and earning me a few rebuffs in the process. I tried to keep pace without ramming anyone and some how managed to come out only slightly extended, with #4 right under my armpit, mentally forcing me onwards we caught up and came back around for more of the same, this time my descent was right on the money , as was Moles, so we must have both fallen casualty to the same error (obviously more practise required, however unappealling an exercise that might present itself as).  

As a flight we all came clear of cloud and tracked back to home plate for a bit of rocketry.  We jumped ships into the pigpen flight and despite my false start, got some runs in on the range.
my aerial gunnery technique confirming my ineptitude by proving still unobtainable

A most enjoyable (albeit nail-biting) flight, and so much the more enjoyable with the group flight experience.

Thanking everyone for their participation and as always, Gizzy for his timeless effort and patience in getting us there.
(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander  Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Re: A Reflection........

Post by (A/229) BlackeyCole on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 06:44

If you can teach me to hoverill play that’s theone basic skill I’ve not found might have todo with numbness in feet and hand from diabetes or the huey it’self.im a late riser in no so from 12pm mountain time to midnight mountain I should be able to play most times. I haven’t done any weapons work yet still need to figure out best way to assign everything to my puma.

(A/229) BlackeyCole

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 11:43

Hi BC... thanks for showing an interest..

8MATES interaction can lead to some pretty advanced stuff so you need the basics nailed and be familiar with your controls having everything mapped.  There is plenty of good stuff about hovering the Huey on this site and on YouTUBE...

Saying that be online often and hit the likes of Chic, Me, Hawkeye, G'SIX and other senior guys and you will get all the help you need...  If you were EU I could make direct scheds and get you sorted but the time zones will make this awkward at the basic stage.  Once you have your Basic Wings well and truly nailed then we work stuff out for you.

Kind Regards
/Giz
(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander  Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BlackeyCole on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 17:39

Ok I understand