Wed 10 Oct 2018, 23:42 by (B|D/229) Gizzy

October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Implementing ATC software

Go down

Implementing ATC software

Post by (A/229) JSpectre on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 23:17

Some of you, (Hell, I talk about it enough, MOST of you) know that I am ATC. I truly enjoy doing ATC and all that is involved with it, (Except when a pilot tries to argue with me Wink). I purchased a license to use the full software for LOTATC, for those that don't know, LOTATC allows to a true ATC experience. What I mean by that, is you would actually be able to talk to tower/ground, ARAC (Radar), Approach (Radar), or GCA (Radar - This position is the one that aircraft on a Precision Approach Radar, (Flying ONLY by instrument, granted ILS does the same, except in PAR ONLY THE CONTROLLER controls the aircraft per say, the pilot gives the aircraft inputs, but the GCA Controller will constantly update the aircraft as to his position on the glideslope (whether you are descending too fast, or ascending ), or glidepath (Left or right of the approach course). This program allows for that to be implemented. I have been waiting SO LONG for something like this to be introduced and actually work. I have yet to find a server that runs it actively (One or two run it, but have had it off recently). It runs on the server as a module, however, being that I am not a server guy, not sure how that works. All I am asking is whether or not it would at all be considered possible for this to be implemented. If so, I am 100% down with learning the different airfields/FARPs and controlling everyone. I realize it sounds redundant given how the game works, however I think it would be a pretty immersive addition. Did I mention it allows for GCI or AWACS? Obviously SRS has an AWACS capability. This would further that ability with an external software that allows for a different few of the battlefield. Unfortunately there do not seem to be many videos (Probably due to not many servers running it), however from the ones that have been posted before, the software works, just not many people care enough to use it. I do realize it's just one of those "Well that would be cool but..." situations, I am just eager to here what all of you guys think.

(A/229) JSpectre

Back to top Go down

Re: Implementing ATC software

Post by (C/229) Space Cadet on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 14:23

Hi JSpectre, I’ve seen this LOTATC software and it looks quite good. I could imagine having ATC and AWACS support on a larger group mission definitely adding to the realism. I have heard of a few groups that have it on their servers (The Australian AEF 161 Sqd for example) but I think the issue is they haven’t had the ATC expertise to make it really functional.
However, I could imagine with your background the implementation of LOTATC could only be a good thing..!
Is there any cost for the pilots? or is it just a few licences for the people doing the ATC / AWACS. I think the licences were only around $25 so wouldn’t break the bank anyway.
Ava Good’n.
(C/229) Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) JSpectre on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 19:43

It’s only for the person(s) using the software for the ATC/AWACS purpose. Those just being controlled off of it, ie, the pilots, do not have to pay anything. I think you have to pay for a server license but that would be it.

(A/229) JSpectre

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Space Cadet on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 12:01

Cut & Paste from their website.

The server is free and available for DCS World 64bits. You can get LotAtc 4 DCS server from here:
https://www.lotatc.com/download.html

LotAtc client license costs:
(1-4 licenses) 20 Euros each (about US$24 each)
(5-9 licenses) 15 Euros each
(+10 licenses) 10 Euros each
(C/229) Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Huckleberry on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 10:10

I think the demand for ATC here is very low. For many people it would be an inconvenience, when at the end of the day we might just want to play a game and fly around. For guys just starting out it would feel like a whole new hurdle, and when would we ever have an ATC online, and how would we know? I don't think the role is practical for our use cases. I can definitely see how great it could be for those servers which have consistently active airfields and flight lanes, especially with fixed wings
(A/229) Huckleberry
Second Lieutenant
Company XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Second Lieutenant Company XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) Comanchero86 on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 18:46

(A/229) Huckleberry wrote:I think the demand for ATC here is very low. For many people it would be an inconvenience, when at the end of the day we might just want to play a game and fly around. For guys just starting out it would feel like a whole new hurdle, and when would we ever have an ATC online, and how would we know? I don't think the role is practical for our use cases. I can definitely see how great it could be for those servers which have consistently active airfields and flight lanes, especially with fixed wings

Reminds me of years ago when I was assigned for a year to South Korea. Every controller in country had to spend two weeks with the tactical ATC platoon for training. During my two weeks we were giving ATC support to Rodriquez Range where the Cobras do their live fire. We had a portable footlocker sized tower set on a small hill next to a LZ near the range. And brother! We were were talking our azz off giving instructions and advisories. We were totally ignored by the fired up Cobra pilots coming off their live fire. They did what they wanted where they wanted. Looking back on it now it was hilarious but at the time it was really maddening. If we don't have a buy in here at 1st Cav, I can see a similar situation develop.
(A/229) Comanchero86

Back to top Go down

Post by (C/229) Space Cadet on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 07:17

I can see Huckleberry’s point and concur that having a "blanket" ATC requirement would be difficult and most probably provide more negative than positive attributes to the game. However as in RL having controlled and uncontrolled airspace around a particular airfield at agreed predetermined times would be ( I think ) relatively easy to manage and quite educational, along with the added bonus of adding to the realism. If our ATC experienced members are willing to set up a controlled airspace around a larger airport and provide some training, I for one would really appreciate this opportunity. Additionally over time it could bleed into a culture of pilots doing (non compulsory) basic uncontrolled airspace inbound / outbound & circuit calls etc. (Primarily to add to the realism but also would give freshly spawned pilots an audible clew as to what everyone is up to).
Just my thoughts. Ava Good’n.
(C/229) Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 21:45

I've flown with some DCS multi unit missions who were running full traffic control zones on Tower, Aerodrome Traffic Zone, and some air space routes using Lotac and often 3 controllers for about 30 aircraft some rotary, some FW...

And they used the same control zones and procedures albeit with just 1 controller for even basic training stuff.

When I was facilitating SW Mi8 training we also dabbled with some procedures with mixed results.

I'm 110% with Huck.  Certainty some of the 8MATES felt the stress levels rise considerably when FL brining in or out a flight of 6 ships through airspace and dealing with the correct comms and flight leadership.

On the other hand if a cadre of pilots existed who wished to experience and learn the ATC procedures and calls then sure, why not, run some missions with ATC involved providing that all the guys had the required pilot skills nailed first.

On another note, on the 229th servers when free flying and there is there is quite a few about, advisory calls detailing using / entering / leaving taxiways / runways / aerodrome patterns - as if the airfield tower was unattended - could be good practice and manners.. but then some use TS and some SR...
(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator
Captain Company Commander  Unit Training Officer Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Flick on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 08:54

This extra level of realism appeals to me and I'm sure those chaps who are already happy with the current level of realism wouldn't mind flying around, landing, taxiing and taking off just listening to the sounds of those who are operating within such a system. Therefore I would like to suggest that we try it but leave it optional... Is this a possible solution?
(B/229) Flick

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 10:01

I do not think 'optional' is feasible in ATZ's, sort of defeats 'controlled airspace'.

But sure as I said, if a group of lads want to run a  mission using AT procedures why not...  go for it... but do some training / practising first.

Initially you do not necessary require LOTAC.  You can comfortably get by using a GAMEMASTER slot F10 view for ATC visuals and SRS  AWAC overlay for COMMS.

To co-exist with others on a communal server miz place engaging flights within the mission map at airfields well away from the 'normal' play areas.

And yes, in the right circumstances, it could be interesting, educational and fun...

EDIT ADD ON:
There are differences between the control levels used for civilian / military / country so there is probably a need for some sort of suitable short abridged defined procedures to be published.
(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (B/229) Flick on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 12:22

Of course it's feasable... its only a question of how willing one is to accomodate others.
(B/229) Flick

Back to top Go down

Post by (B|D/229) Gizzy on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 12:44

(B/229) Flick wrote:Of course it's feasable... its only a question of how willing one is to accommodate others.  

I disagree.  How can a controller effectively direct traffic in a controlled area when there are people doing their own thing in the 'controlled' area?

As I said my view...  

(D/229) Gizzy wrote:To co-exist with others on a communal server miz place engaging flights within the mission map at airfields well away from the 'normal' play areas.

And yes, in the right circumstances, it could be interesting, educational and fun...

Of course common sense prevails so if you have a firm proposal for the generic server maps or want to run full ATC on any mission go ahead... set it up, if guys want to sit on the side and watch or fly within it, train or not train, fine no issues.... but I would do it differently and would, of course, accommodate all who were interested.
(B|D/229) Gizzy
Captain
Company Commander
Unit Training Officer
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) JSpectre on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 13:17

I would suggest just limiting people to certain altitudes if it came to allowing both. Having people operating with ATS and some without. However, this would limit the capabilities of whichever were sent to a higher altitude.

(A/229) JSpectre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down