June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

Navigation and Automatic Pilot question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Navigation and Automatic Pilot question

Post by (D/229)Phantom_499 on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 1:15

Is there an autopilot system that works off of VOR and tracks a radio signal? The next question is does it just circle the VOR station if there is not another waypoint for it to go on too? If so... what is the name of this system? I ask because I was involved in a discussion with one of my co-workers the other day regarding autopilot systems in aircraft.

(D/229)Phantom_499
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Re: Navigation and Automatic Pilot question

Post by (A/229) BBall on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 2:57

Hey Phantom,

That would really depend on the type of system installed on that particular aircraft.

On the Boeing 757/767, we set up “waypoints” in the FMC (the flight management computer) either manually (by name and/or lat./long.), or we can enter a moniker for a “stored flight plan”, and it will build it for us automatically. We then engage the horizontal component of the autopilot system (that uses GPS) in what we call “LNAV” (lateral navigation) mode, and it tracks to each waypoint in sequence. If we fail to have another waypoint after the last one we load (either by error, or we can creat a “route disconninuity” if we choose), then the autopilot system will go from LNAV tracking to “Heading Hold”, and just fly off into oblivion.

However, on the DC-10, we used a bit of a different system. Instead of GPS, it used INS (spinning gyros instead of satellites), and we loaded only up to 9 waypoints into our INS panel (the Delco units we had at NWA, would only take 9 waypoints, other systems would take up to 40), we would then hook up the autopilot to fly in “INS mode” from one waypoint to the next. The interesting thing about this system, is that if you failed to load the next 9 points on the flight plan (and it happened), the jet would turn around and go from 9 back to 1.

We had a jet over Canada do just that. It was coming back from Europe to Detroit, and the morons forgot to load the next 9 waypoints. It went from 9 and started a VERY GRADUAL (you could set the “bank angle limiter” to as low as a 5 degree bank...guess where this one was set...yep at 5....NOT company procedure), and they turned over 150 degress off course as the autopilot THOUGHT they wanted to go back to the number 1 waypoint (out over the Atlantic Ocean, waaaay behind them). Eventually, the ATC guys axed them where they were going, and they got it back on course. They (of course) were violated by the ATC, and got in lots of trouble. The funny part is that we all knew the Captain on this jet, he was a TRUE A-hole and douche bag, and his new nickname (or callsign if you will), became....wait for it....”Magellen”.

LOL....

So to answer your question, yes there are autopilots that will track a VOR radial (usually older systems), the newer ones will TAKE you to that VOR (and it can be on any radial you want it to be....like doing a VOR approach to an airport), but you are in effect flying to a GPS point that’s been loaded into the FMC.

Hope that’s a tad bit clearer than mud....

Last edited by (A/229) BBall on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 4:04; edited 1 time in total
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!
Killed In Action: : is a zillion too many times?
Slick No. of landings: : you mean the ones I walked away from?
CAS Tanks destroyed: : not many.
CAS Vehicules destroyed: : more than the tanks.
CAS Bunkers destroyed: : have no idea! were they selling beer there?

Back to top Go down

Post by (D/229)Phantom_499 on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 3:23

It answers my question. Smile Thank you sir.

(D/229)Phantom_499
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 4 Apr 2014 - 7:58

So i wonder BBALL, was Captain Magellan restricted to flying a desk for awhile. Great story!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall on Sat 5 Apr 2014 - 1:11

Hey Mongoose!

No, sadly that dickhead was slapped with “time off” as we call it. You don’t actually stay home, you go fly your trips, but you just don’t get paid for it! LOL....IIRC, he got two weeks “off”...meaning he probably didn’t get paid for the month. No worries though, part of his “dickheaded-ness” (is that even a word?), was his unbelievable ability to make you want to open a window and jump out after listening to his BS about all the stuff he owned (to include some friggin island off the coast of Florida), and all the other cool things he did and/or was... He was one of those guys that when you would check into the hotel in Frankfurt at 0900 (after being up all night), you’d all agree to muster in the lobby at 1700 to go eat dinner, and when he would walk away, everyone would look at each other and say...”now we’re all agreed here right? 1600 hrs....for dinner.” He never caught on...

In a broader sense, occasionally when a crew ROYALLY fooks something up (like landing at the wrong airport...the Southwest Airlines crew was the latest victim of that idiocy...and TRUST ME...every airline has done it), then the crew is allowed to take “early retirement” as apposed to being fired.

A great story...about 30 years ago, a Frontier Airlines (the old Frontier) landed a Boeing 737-100 at some obscure little airport in “East Jesus” Colorado (or Wyoming) by mistake. The Captain “retired” (not sure what happened to the F/O), and they literally had to take the wings off of the jet, put it on a flat bed truck and drive it out of town (runway was too short). Every year after that (on the anniversary of the event), the little town would hold a big parade and celebration and the –ex Captain would be the “Master of Ceremonies”...head of the parade, etc... (I guess they were just excited about finally being put on the map so to speak).

Have a great day all...
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

No. of Flights: : since 1973? are you kidding me? oh, you mean FLIGHT SIM flights!

Back to top Go down

Post by (HHC/229) Strut on Sat 5 Apr 2014 - 9:20

(A/229) BBall wrote:
A great story...about 30 years ago, a Frontier Airlines (the old Frontier) landed a Boeing 737-100 at some obscure little airport in “East Jesus” Colorado (or Wyoming) by mistake. The Captain “retired” (not sure what happened to the F/O), and they literally had to take the wings off of the jet, put it on a flat bed truck and drive it out of town (runway was too short). Every year after that (on the anniversary of the event), the little town would hold a big parade and celebration and the –ex Captain would be the “Master of Ceremonies”...head of the parade, etc... (I guess they were just excited about finally being put on the map so to speak).

lol! That sounds like an episode of Gilligans Island.............. lol! 

Battalion XO
Rated Senior Aviator
Major Battalion XO Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by (A/229) BBall on Sat 5 Apr 2014 - 10:10

lol....YEP....truth is always stranger than fiction!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
(A/229) BBall
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rated Senior Aviator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top